TGR FOUNDATION – A TIGER WOODS CHARITY
“Our purpose is to equip kids with a solid education and the mindset to persevere. We are quietly impacting an entire generation for the better.” — Tiger Woods
Launched in 2006, the TGR Learning Lab has reached more than 150,000 students through its award-winning STEM curriculum. Serving students in grades 5-12 in Anaheim, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C. and Stuart, FL, our unique culture fosters development of the whole person while providing critical STEM skills and college prep.
When the foundation launched in 1996, I was 20 years old. I knew our junior golf program and the grants were having a positive impact, but the tragedy of 9/11 made me realize we needed to do more. I wanted a permanent, safe space for kids to explore their dreams. From there, we created the TGR Learning Lab in Anaheim and the Earl Woods Scholar Program, honoring my dad. Over twenty years later, the results speak for themselves. We worked in STEM before it was a common acronym. To date, the TGR Learning Lab has served more than 150,000 students. We’ve introduced 85,000 girls to STEM careers and reached 1,000 educators annually, bringing them professional-development programs in STEM education. Our Earl Woods Scholars embody that tenacity, blazing trails to become tomorrow’s innovators, creators and leaders. At 98.7%, we have one of the highest college graduation rates among scholarship programs in the U.S. Now we’re expanding our reach through TGR EDU: Explore, a digital platform providing our award-winning programs to millions of students, teachers and families worldwide. I’m dedicated to the growth of this important work. We are just getting started – Tiger Woods
As in his golfing career, Tiger Woods has placed dynamic people around him to successfully lead the Foundation for the best delivery of innovative programs to the youth they serve. This starts with a committed and highly resourceful Board, a talented Fortune 500 entrepreneurial executive leadership team, and a dedicated and talented educational staff. Through great collaboration the Foundation created their key core values:
Start with Passion
We come to work every day with a drive and determination to improve the lives of children and our communities. Our success is dependent on an unyielding enthusiasm for and dedication to our students, partners and each other.
We hold ourselves and each other accountable, which involves an honest reflection of our actions and a commitment to finding ways to improve. Taking ownership and pride in our work cultivates a high sense of responsibility and integrity, therefore results.
We believe the sum of our combined efforts are greater than any individual contribution. We actively seek opportunities to collaborate and build mutually-beneficial partnerships aligned with our values to further our mission.
We believe that success requires a forward-thinking and flexible approach. We must challenge the status quo by creating an environment where thoughtful risk-taking is encouraged and seen as an essential ingredient in not only reaching our goals but exceeding them. This is how we learn, grow and improve both ourselves and our work.
We believe that diversity is vital to the success and relevance of our organization. We are committed to delivering programs and experiences consistent with our belief in equity and inclusion for all.
TGRF has been successful at raising money through generous corporate donations, PGA TOUR golf tournaments, private golf fundraisers and some foundations and individual donors. Such generous support resulted in the successful completion of a $25 million capital campaign for the building of its Learning Center as well as continued annual support for programming. The board has a $10,000 “give-and-get” policy, the vision for significant growth and impact and the desire to introduce personal network relationships. Building on this momentum of success the Foundation is ready to embark upon a robust fundraising program that not only encompasses corporate donors but sustainable philanthropy through individuals and foundations.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP Development will be charged with the strategic direction and leadership of the vision and strategy for the development function. The primary work of this position is to lead the creation and execution of a broad range of funding strategies which will advance TGRF’s mission. Paramount will be this individual’s ability to effectively help design, lead and oversee a comprehensive development plan, hire a team and achieve goals as approved via the CEO and the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
The VP Development will be responsible for increasing TGRF’s development capacity through a strengthened culture of philanthropy. The new VP Development will have a demonstrated track record of institutional vision and implementation of leadership, with an emphasis on establishing and overseeing organizational systems, measures, forecasting, and accountabilities.
The VP Development must bring an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for TGRF, leadership capabilities for staff, board and volunteers and the capability to diversify fundraising revenues with a heavy emphasis on major gifts. In the opinion of the search committee, TGRF’s growth is limited only by its ability to build a high-performing team and execute a more diversified fundraising program.
The VP Development is a phenomenal opportunity for a seasoned development professional to build their own shop. With a vision for significant growth, TGRF is well positioned for even more impact, especially as many of its potential donors and friends have not yet been cultivated. As a member of a well-tenured and seasoned senior management team, the new VP will place his/her stamp not only on the fund development function but also on TGRF’s overall organizational vision and its community impact. This is a career-making opportunity to serve in partnership with an accomplished and visionary team of leaders and make such a profound difference for the youth of today and tomorrow.
The VP Development needs to possess intellectual horsepower, and have the natural ability to be persuasive, fair, and accountable. He/she will lead based upon a sense of core ethics of collaboration, self- improvement and the drive of excellence.
- Partner with the CEO, staff, and Board of Directors to evaluate the organization’s development function and chart its philanthropic future.
- Engage the Board effectively in philanthropy and partner with members in identifying their role in capitalizing upon fund growth opportunities; Strengthen the culture of philanthropy in the organization.
- Build an infrastructure and systems to support the newly charted course.
- Lead, recruit and develop staff to ensure that the organization is staffed with an engaged and dedicated high performing team.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Broaden and develop a robust annual fund, major gifts, corporate giving, foundation giving and planned giving programs.
- Provide leadership to staff and volunteers engaging them in campaigns and other fundraising projects.
- Personally, and with others, cultivate and solicit constituents for major gifts.
- Oversee communications and marketing efforts designed to create awareness of the TGRF’s mission, vision and goals.
- Ensure that development is carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans.
- Team with the finance department to assure sound fiscal operation of the development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of philanthropic contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
- Oversee and manage writing of development proposals and grants.
- Assure design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and informational reports.
- Assure appropriate prospect research for development.
- Assure design and implementation of acknowledgment, stewardship and recognition programs with feedback and necessary check off systems.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the CEO.
We are seeking candidates offering the following qualifications:
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity
- Strong management experience
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to develop and strengthen fundraising infrastructure, to inspire staff, to develop strong working relationships with the Board of Directors and its Committees and to develop effective fundraising programs
- Strong organizational skills and accountability toward goals
- A minimum of seven years of fundraising experience with a preference for experience in building a comprehensive development program.
- Significant experience in and a successful track record of major gift and annual fund fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Commitment to the mission and work of the agency with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others
- A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization
- An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills
- A doer who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair minded
- A decisive and resourceful individual who will accept responsibility and take charge of results, as well as work successfully with limited resources
- A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, to forge ahead when appropriate and hold back when necessary, with a sensitivity to the feelings and opinions of others
- An energetic person who is emotionally mature and dependable; a collegial individual with a sense of humor.
To be confidentially considered for the opportunity, or to make a recommendation, please contact:
Sarah Agee (714) 433-7040, or Nicole Seipel (310) 774-0099 or email us at
Direct all correspondence emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc. Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to the TGR Foundation will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
The TGR Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your resume to Sterling Search Inc. via the form below, and include the job title in the subject line.