Sterling Search Inc. has been exclusively retained to recruit for the Vice President of Development (VP Development) for the Fulfillment Fund.
The Fulfillment Fund makes college a reality for more than 2,500 students annually, who are growing up in educationally and economically under-resourced communities. The organization has an annual budget of $4.3 million, including $3.5 million in contributed income and assets of $5 million. In 2016, Maria Espinosa Booth was named CEO. Under Maria’s leadership, the success of their programs have continued to soar. Not only are they helping scholars complete High School and College, they are providing a pathway to future success by also helping new graduates build successful careers.
College Matriculation Rate College Completion Rate
The next key focus for Maria and the Board of Directors is building a robust, sustainable fund development program. They recognize that this will take time and requires a shift in organizational focus on fundraising. Knowing this, they have engaged a new Development Chair Wendy Spinner, an experienced community philanthropist. Wendy’s commitment to this renewed focus on fundraising is evidenced by her recruitment of likeminded community leaders for their Development & Governance Committees and by developing a more effective working relationship with board members in advancing the mission of the Fulfillment Fund.
The VP Development will be charged with the strategic direction and leadership of the vision, mission and strategy for the development function. The VP Development needs to possess intellectual horsepower, and have the natural ability to be persuasive, fair, and accountable. He/she will lead based upon a sense of core ethics of collaboration, self- improvement and the drive of excellence, to ensure that the best services are being delivered to those served by the mission of the Fulfillment Fund.
Key initiatives in the first year include:
- Partner with the CEO, staff, and Board of Directors to evaluate the organization’s development function and chart its future
- Strengthen the culture of philanthropy in the organization
- Foster an environment of collaboration and synergy with the newly formed Board Governance and Development Committees to determine a strategic vision for the development function
- Engage the Board effectively in philanthropy and partner with members in identifying their role in capitalizing upon fund growth opportunities
- Build a renewed infrastructure and systems to support the newly charted course
- Lead, recruit and develop staff to ensure that the organization is staffed with an engaged and dedicated high performing team
- Cultivate, steward and engage past, current, and prospective donors with a renewed vigor for the mission, by implementing structured stewardship and recognition programs
Future initiatives include:
- Continue to build upon first year initiatives
- Execute new donor acquisition programs for individuals, corporations and foundations
- Execute new annual fund strategies for a broader outreach to the community
We are seeking candidates offering the following qualifications:
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to develop and strengthen fundraising infrastructure, to inspire staff, to develop strong working relationships with the Board of Directors, and its Committees and, to develop effective fundraising programs
- Strong organizational skills and accountability toward goals
- A minimum of seven years of fundraising experience with three years of management experience
- Significant experience in and a successful track record of major gift and annual fund fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree required
To be confidentially considered for the opportunity, or to make a recommendation, please contact:
Sarah Agee 714-433-7040, Julie Lugo 714-433-7042 or Nicole Seipel 310-774-0099 or email us at
Direct all correspondence emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc. Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to the Fulfillment Fund will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
The Fulfillment Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer