After Introductory period, opportunity for telecommuting up to 2 days a week
We INSPIRE and EDUCATE young minds through engaging SCIENCE-BASED programs and exhibits to create a meaningful IMPACT on the COMMUNITIES we serve.
For over 35 years, the Discovery Science Foundation has been a nonprofit organization impacting the lives of children through hands-on science education in Santa Ana, CA. At their foundation lies their four core initiatives used to prepare the next generation of teachers, students and life-long learners. From early childhood education to STEM proficiency, healthy living to environmental stewardship, these initiatives go to the heart of the Foundation’s mission as an entity of inspiration, education, and transformation.
We are much more than experience within our walls. From our educational outreach programs to our empowering real world application, we are an agent of change in this ever-evolving world, a Foundation on a mission of good through the wonders of science.
The Foundation, with the second largest science education outreach programs in the country and an unparalleled approach to creating immersive, game-based exhibits, is revolutionizing how educational content is delivered.
In November 2014, the Foundation opened Discovery Cube Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. Located at the Hansen Dam Recreation Center in Lake View Terrace, DCLA is a 58,000 square foot entertainment and learning center, which features an exciting combination of permanent and traveling exhibits.
DCLA has an annual revenue of $5 million of which approximately $1.5 million is fundraising revenue. DCLA is a separate 501c3 that reports into the umbrella Foundation, led by its long-tenured President Joe Adams. The Foundation offers a shared services’ model with finance, marketing, human resources and fund development, which supports both DCLA and DCOC.
The Senior Director of Development, reports to the Chief Development Officer of the umbrella Foundation and has a dotted line into the Acting Executive Director & Vice President of LA. The SDoD will have functional support from the Foundation’s (shared services) fund development team, as well as share two support staff with the Acting Executive Director/Vice President of LA.
The Chief Development Officer has been with the Foundation for two and half years and taken the fundraising revenue for all LA & OC locations combined from $4 million to $6 million during her tenure. With her vision for significant growth, DCLA is well positioned for even more impact, especially as many of its potential donors and friends have not yet been cultivated. It has an impressive board of directors, committed to 100% giving and continued philanthropy. DCLA is also fortunate to have Wendy Greuel as its Development Chair who engages many of her connections to benefit the mission of DCLA. Building upon its momentum of success, the SDoD with the Chief Development officer will lead the vision and strategy for DCLA’s fundraising, working closely with the Board of Directors.
The SDoD will be responsible for stewarding the current $1.5 million base in partnership with Wendy Greuel and Development Staff with a heavy focus on cultivating new donors primarily in individual and foundation support as well some corporate.
The Chief Development Officer is seeking an innovative and accomplished visionary leader to inspire board and volunteers for even greater impact. He/she will know the Los Angeles’ philanthropic landscape and must possess intellectual horsepower and be naturally persuasive and fair, and value accountability and a team approach.
Under the direction of the Discovery Cube Foundation’s Chief Development Officer and with a dotted line report to the Acting Executive Director/Vice President of LA, works with the Board of Directors and fund development shared services team to expand and diversify DCLA’s funding to identify new donors, upgrade current donors, and increase philanthropic revenues.
- As a senior member of the Development team, help develop and implement a comprehensive fund raising program for DCLA.
- Support and encourage the Board of Directors, Development Committee, and event committee in their Development responsibilities. Support the Chief Development Officer and Development Chair in Board Development.
- Engage, motivate and align volunteer leadership with prospects. Serve as a resource for cultivation and stewardship efforts and track relationship progress in database.
- Develop and demonstrate strategies for prospecting, cultivating and stewarding a portfolio of individual, foundation and corporate donors (i.e. five, six and seven figure donations) as well as planned gifts to ensure the highest engagement and participation rate while increasing annual gift levels of giving.
- Responsible for fund raising efforts for Capital Campaigns and other programs as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with the Foundation’s Director of Events for DCLA’s annual gala by supporting the committee and taking a lead role on gaining new sponsorships and table acquisitions. The logistics of major events will be directed by the Foundation’s Events Director.
- Work collaboratively with the Foundation’s Manager of Foundations and Sr. Director of Corporate Giving in acquiring new and stewarding existing regional donors as well as the Director, Development at DCLA.
- Prepare proposals for prospects regarding appropriate gift strategies and instruments.
- Participate in team and organizational meetings and provide regular updates to the Chief Development Officer and Acting Executive Director/Vice President of LA.
- Accurately maintain donor records, prospect lists, donor acknowledgements and stewardship and contact reports on prospective and assigned donors.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer.Professional Experience and Qualifications
We are seeking candidates offering the following qualifications:
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity.
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to develop and strengthen fundraising infrastructure, to inspire staff, to develop strong working relationships with Boards of Directors, and to develop effective fundraising programs.
- A minimum of five years of major-gift fundraising experience and with direct stewardship of Boards of Directors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local and/or regional funding sources, strong relationships with donors, funders and civic leaders.
- Significant experience in and a successful track record of obtaining new and expanded major gifts, capital campaign and annual fund fundraising.
- A strategic approach to development, with significant experience in cultivating and managing donors.
- A record of quantifiable success in donor segmentation, research, and cultivation.
- Exceptional financial, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and implement to completion.
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of varied and changing constituencies including staff, Board members, existing and potential donors, volunteers, and other key stakeholders.
- A track record as an effective communicator, skilled at writing and public speaking; adept at writing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other types of materials to enhance fundraising.
- Ability to juggle many responsibilities at once, and to operate both independently and with the flexibility to be part of a team.
- Computer literate: Working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and experience with fundraising database software.
- Commitment to the mission and work of the agency with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others
- An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills
- A doer who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair minded
- A decisive and resourceful individual who will accept responsibility and take charge of results, as well as work successfully with limited resources
- A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, to forge ahead when appropriate and hold back when necessary, with a sensitivity to the feelings and opinions of others
- An energetic person who is emotionally mature and dependable; a collegial individualBachelor’s degree required.The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
Phone: 714-433-7042 for Julie or Sarah
Direct all correspondence emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc. Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to DCLA will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
DCLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your resume to Sterling Search Inc. via the form below, and include the job title in the subject line.