Sterling Search Inc. has been exclusively retained to recruit for the Executive Director/Vice President of LA Affairs (ED/VP) for Discovery Cube, Los Angeles (DCLA).
We INSPIRE and EDUCATE young minds through engaging SCIENCE-BASED programs and exhibits to create a meaningful IMPACT on the COMMUNITIES we serve.
For over 35 years, the Discovery Science Foundation has been a nonprofit organization impacting the lives of children through hands-on science education in Santa Ana, CA. At their foundation lies their four core initiatives used to prepare the next generation of teachers, students and life-long learners. From early childhood education to STEM proficiency, healthy living to environmental stewardship, these initiatives go to the heart of the Foundation’s mission as an entity of inspiration, education, and transformation.
We are much more than experience within our walls. From our educational outreach programs to our empowering real world application, we are an agent of change in this ever-evolving world, a Foundation on a mission of good through the wonders of science.
In 2013, its President, Joe Adams, accepted the National Medal of Service, which is the nation’s highest honor conferred on museums for service to the community. This award, which Mr. Adams received from First Lady, Michelle Obama, on behalf of the Foundation, celebrates institutions that make a difference to individuals, families, and communities. The Foundation was one of only five museums to receive the 2013 National Medal for Museum and Library Service.
The Foundation, with one of the largest science education outreach programs in the country and an unparalleled approach to creating immersive, game-based exhibits, is revolutionizing how educational content is delivered.
In November 2014 the Foundation opened Discovery Cube Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. Located at the Hansen Dam Recreation Center in Lake View Terrace, DCLA is a 58,000 square foot entertainment and learning center, which features an exciting combination of permanent and traveling exhibits.
The Executive Director/Vice President of LA Affairs is the face for Los Angeles with oversight of Board management and development, fundraising and marketing and communications. DCLA is a separate 501c3 that reports into the umbrella Foundation, led by its long-tenured President Joe Adams. The Foundation offers a shared services’ model with finance, marketing, human resources and fund development for both DCLA and DCOC.
DCLA has an annual revenue of $10 million of which approximately $1.5 million is fundraising revenue. With a vision for significant growth, DCLA is well positioned for even more impact, especially as many of its potential donors and friends have not yet been cultivated. It has an impressive board of directors, committed to 100% giving with a vision for significant growth. Building upon its momentum of success, the ED/VP will lead the vision and strategy for the Los Angeles’ development team and Board of Directors, which is ready and prepared for executing significant growth in revenue.
The ED/VP is a career-making, visible and rare opportunity to serve in partnership with an accomplished and visionary team of leaders. The success of the ED/VP will ensure that the already nationally recognized science education programs, so desperately needed in the greater Los Angeles region, continue to reach more children and families.
The Foundation president and the DCLA Board of Directors is seeking an innovative and accomplished visionary leader to inspire staff, board and volunteers for even greater impact. He/she will know the Los Angeles’ philanthropic landscape and must possess intellectual horsepower and be naturally persuasive and fair, and value accountability for themselves and others. He/she will lead based upon a sense of core ethics of collaboration, self- improvement and the drive of excellence.
Under the direction of the Discovery Cube Foundation President and the Board of Directors, the Executive Director/Vice President of LA works with the Board of Directors and development staff of three to expand and diversify DCLA’s funding base in support of the Agency’s mission and programs. This position is also part of the Shared Services Senior Leadership Team, assisting in making critical decisions for the entire Agency as well as organizational development. The ED/VP works with the Vice President of Development to plan and manage individual, Board, corporate and foundation giving programs. Responsibilities also include developing and cultivating a donor base of individual, corporations and foundations to meet the revenue goals of the organization, as well as board management and participating in media activities, promotional events and public information programs.
Fundraising and Development Leadership
The ED/VP has responsibility for carrying out the fundraising and development plans of the organization. This typically involves maintaining communications with and meeting with current and prospective donors (e.g., private, government, and corporate); seeking new donors; preparing and submitting proposals; and exploring other means of generating sustaining and expansion funding. Oversees grant/sponsorship fulfillment.
Board Relations Leadership
The ED/VP works with Board of Directors to further the vision and financial health of the organization. Serves as member of the DCLA Board of Directors. Develops and maintains a regular system of reporting to the Board.
Communications and Media Leadership
The ED/VP speaks to the press and through written and online outlets, on behalf of the organization. The ED/VP works with the Shared Services Marketing and Media team to develop an integrated communications and media plan.
The ED/VP works with the President and Shared Services team to develop strategic initiatives that advance the organization’s mission, and for coordinating their implementation.
The ED/VP will maintain ongoing communications with other Cube entities and allied organizations; will proactively look for ways to collaborate, cooperate, partner or otherwise work towards common ends; and will take steps to identify new potential allies.
Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the President.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
We are seeking candidates offering the following qualifications:
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity.
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to develop and strengthen fundraising infrastructure, to inspire staff, to develop strong working relationships with Boards of Directors, and to develop effective fundraising programs.
- A minimum of seven years of fundraising experience with three years of management experience with increasing levels of responsibility, and with direct stewardship of Boards of Directors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of local and/or regional funding sources, strong relationships with donors, funders and civic leaders.
- Significant experience in and a successful track record of obtaining major gift, capital campaign and annual fund fundraising.
- A strategic approach to development, with significant experience in cultivating and managing donors.
- A record of quantifiable success in donor segmentation, research, and cultivation.
- Exceptional financial, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and implement to completion.
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of varied and changing constituencies including staff, Board members, existing and potential donors, volunteers, and other key stakeholders.
- A track record as an effective communicator, skilled at writing and public speaking; adept at writing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other types of materials to enhance fundraising.
- Ability to juggle many responsibilities at once, and to operate both independently and with the flexibility to be part of a team.
- Computer literate: Working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and experience with fundraising database software.
- Enjoys working in a start-up environment.
- Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree preferred.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Commitment to the mission and work of the agency with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others
- A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization
- An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills
- A doer who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair minded
- A decisive and resourceful individual who will accept responsibility and take charge of results, as well as work successfully with limited resources
- A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, to forge ahead when appropriate and hold back when necessary, with a sensitivity to the feelings and opinions of others
- An energetic person who is emotionally mature and dependable; a collegial individual
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
Phone: 714-433-7042 for Julie or Sarah
Direct all correspondence emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc.
Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to DCLA will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
DCLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your resume to Sterling Search Inc. via the form below, and include the job title in the subject line.