Sterling Search Inc. has been exclusively retained to recruit for the new Executive Director for LIFT-Los Angeles.
The mission of LIFT is bold: to empower families to break the cycle of poverty.
Founded in 1998, LIFT www.liftcommunities.org is a national nonprofit dedicated to ending intergenerational poverty. LIFT connects hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need. By fostering relationships between low-income parents and caregivers of young children (members) and dedicated volunteers (advocates), they help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education.
The outcomes of their programs are outstanding. This impact is why this innovative approach to breaking the cycle of poverty is not only showing tangible results but also attracting investment from important funders and stakeholders.
LIFT-Los Angeles is positioned for success. The outstanding achievements of the current Executive Director, Michelle Rhone-Collins, have led to her national promotion, resulting in this exciting opportunity. LIFT-Los Angeles has a solid infrastructure with strong funding, an impressive Los Angeles Regional Advisory Board and a dedicated staff including robust forms of support from the national team. In the next fiscal year LIFT-Los Angeles is targeted to raise at least $1.7 million in support of their programs.
We are seeking an Executive Director who will lead a team and program ready for generating growth in revenue. The new Executive Director will be charged with building on LIFT-Los Angeles’ track record of success by further developing the organization’s vision, and achieving its goals for continued financial stability, community engagement and enhancing the impact of its program.
The Executive Director must bring an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for LIFT-Los Angeles, leadership capabilities for staff, board and volunteers, a demonstrated track record of managing successful outcomes for world class programs and the capability to diversify fundraising revenues with a heavy emphasis on major gifts. In the opinion of the LIFT leadership, LIFT-Los Angeles’ growth is limited only by its ability to lead a high-performing team and execute a more diversified fundraising program.
This individual must possess intellectual horsepower, and be naturally persuasive, fair, accountable and results-oriented. The new Executive Director will lead based on the core ethics of collaboration, self-improvement, and the drive for excellence, ensuring that the best services are being delivered to the families of the LIFT-Los Angeles community.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director reports directly to the Chief Cities Officer and is accountable to the Los Angeles Advisory Board. As a proven visible, visionary and influential leader and fundraiser in the community, the Executive Director is the principal spokesperson representing the organization to constituencies, both internal and external. In addition to financial and administrative duties, the scope of responsibility includes overseeing fund development, program management, marketing, public relations, and strategic thinking and planning. The Executive Director will build, foster, and maintain a balanced organizational culture that combines the richness and relevance of programs with the efficacy of best business practices, fiscal accountability, and institutional impact.
The Executive Director will:
- Continue to raise the public profile of LIFT as key spokesperson and external representative ambassador, thought partner, and advocate with critical stakeholders in the region
- Manage and direct a comprehensive fund development plan that identifies major gift prospects and donors and enhances the short and long term diversified funding base
- Excel at initiating and fostering relationships with individuals, foundations and corporations as potential partners and donors to LIFT-Los Angeles
- Mobilize and inspire the Los Angeles Advisory Board to play an integral role in developing prospects, cultivating major donors and funding agencies and contribute to the financial sustainability of LIFT programs
- Lead, motivate, manage and develop staff to invoke passion about the mission of LIFT-Los Angeles, and foster an environment committed to continuous improvement to meet ambitious program impact, talent, and revenue goals
- Implement an effective performance management system for all employees
- Oversee and execute programmatic excellence by establishing benchmarks and setting timelines to achieve strategic goals
- Continuously assess community needs, evaluating partnership opportunities to promote programs uniquely suited to the mission and to the families we serve
- Ensure sound financial management, and financial accountability for contributions, income, and all LIFT-Los Angeles assets
- Work closely with the National Team to execute organizational program and development strategy, with the goal of improving both efficacy and impact
- Collaborate closely with the Chief Cities Officer to successfully execute strategic plan priorities
- Work collaboratively with LIFT sites in Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C
Professional Experience and Qualifications
We are seeking candidates offering the following:
- Passion for LIFT-Los Angeles’ mission and core values
- Entrepreneurial spirit, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity
- A minimum of 5 years of major gift fundraising with individuals/foundations/corporations in a professional capacity
- A minimum of 5 years of senior management experience, with increasing levels of responsibility and management of staff, preferably with direct stewardship of Boards of Directors
- Experience leading a complex organization through significant growth and/or change
- Proven track record of management success with comparable P&L, planning, budgeting and operations responsibilities
- A history of working with issues related to combatting poverty, ideally with a focus on supporting families
- Possess a keen intellect, be team-oriented and mission-driven, and thrive in dynamic, hard-working environments
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build public support, to strengthen infrastructure, to inspire staff and the Advisory Board, and to develop effective programs
- The ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize and follow through
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set, and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of varied constituencies, including staff, Board members, potential donors, volunteers, and others
- A team builder with a track record of effective staff management, including hiring, rewarding, and retaining talented managers and administrative staff members
- Computer literate: Knowledge of Word and Excel and ability to learn database software
- Knowledge of cultural and political landscape in Los Angeles, with the ability to network and collaborate with a wide array of stakeholders
- A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization
- A doer who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair minded
- A decisive and resourceful individual who will accept responsibility and take charge of results, as well as work successfully with limited resources
Required: Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in relevant field preferred
A competitive compensation package will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
Direct all correspondence to: Sterling Search Inc.
Nicole Seipel (310) 774-0099
Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to LIFT-Los Angeles will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
LIFT Los Angles is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your resume to Sterling Search Inc. via the form below, and include the job title in the subject line.