ABOUT OUR CLIENT
Angel View’s mission is helping children and adults with disabilities reach their maximum potential. Each year, they help hundreds of people make significant gains toward independence through three primary programs: Residential Care, Day Program and Angel View Outreach
Angel View was founded in 1954 on a natural hot mineral water spring in Desert Hot Springs, CA by a group of parents whose children suffered from polio. The therapeutic waters, considered among the highest quality in the world, soothed the children’s aches and pains and helped in their rehabilitation.
When polio was eradicated, Angel View expanded its treatment program to care for children and adults with developmental disabilities, most of whom also have physical disabilities. Many clients have some form of paralysis; approximately 70% require the use of wheelchairs.
Since those early days, Angel View has built and currently operates 19 six-bed group homes where clients receive loving care in family-like environments. In 2008, they launched a Day Program for adults with developmental disabilities from throughout the Coachella Valley.
Since their outset, Angel View has raised funds for its programs by operating Resale Stores and has developed a thriving network of 20 Resale Stores throughout Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Proceeds from store sales are a critically important and significant source of funding.
In 2015, Patti Park transitioned from her role as Director of Administration to lead the organization as their new Executive Director. Patti a long-tenured professional leader from the social services field, has brought a renewed vision and, with a deep passion for quality outcomes, has considerably increased the quality of services for their clients while reducing costs. With this renewed vigor and collaborative approach, Angel View has instituted a strategic vision and plan for 2020, best practices and systems, a strong case for support, and a high-performing team and Board of Directors.
One of the key initiatives for Angel View’s next fiscal year is to build a more robust, sustainable, and comprehensive fundraising program. Although there has been some ad hoc success in fundraising over the years there has not been the focus and resources to build a sustainable program until more recently under Patti’s leadership. Angel View is also fortunate to have a respected volunteer as its current Board Chair who has a great passion for its mission with a deep understanding of philanthropy and the community. As Chair of the Development Committee she is also working with Patti to develop a Board that embraces philanthropy.
With annual revenue of $15.5 million, assets of $30 million, Angel View is committed to ensuring the high-quality care provided to clients is perpetuated through strong fiscal oversight and policy making. Proudly, administration costs are kept low with 92 cents of every dollar donated going directly to support those they serve.
The Director of Development will lead the vision and strategy for the development function, including building its strategic plan, and as the function grows, hiring its team. As a member of a seasoned senior management team, the new Director will place his/her stamp not only on the fund development function but also on Angel View’s overall organizational vision and its community impact.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is a mission critical position and a career-making opportunity to serve in partnership with an accomplished, cohesive and successful, team. This unique opportunity offers the successful candidate the ability to build their own enterprise by leading a comprehensive fundraising plan and associated strategies.
Angel View is also poised for success and on the cusp of embarking on a campaign for a capital project to increase their community impact through additional day programs for their senior clients. This position will be heavily immersed in the campaign efforts and will work collaboratively with a team that includes a strong marketing, social media and grant writing colleagues.
The Director of Development is responsible for developing and moving institutional relationships that lead to philanthropic support of Angel View. In this position, you will provide leadership that adheres to the organization’s mission, goals, objectives and policies. You will also guide the conceptual and developmental planning processes, including the development and implementation of philanthropic strategic initiatives.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Participate with the Executive Director, staff, and Board of Directors to lead the organization’s development strategies and continue to chart the organization’s philanthropic culture.
- Provide general oversight of all of the organization’s development, and monitor adequacy of such activities through coordination with the Executive Director, staff and appropriate committees.
- Lead, manage and direct a comprehensive development plan to enhance the short- and long-term diversified funding base.
- Develop an annual budget to support the strategic development plan for approval by the Executive Director and Development Committee.
- With the Executive Director manage the development and cultivation of a strong Board of Directors.
- Assist the Board of Directors to determine accountabilities for board members and fundraising volunteers and help evaluate performance regularly.
- Ensure that development is carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and plans.
- Develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and fundraising volunteers.
- Broaden and develop a robust annual fund, major gifts and planned giving programs.
- Provide leadership to staff and volunteers engaging them in campaigns and other fundraising projects.
- Personally and with others cultivate and solicit constituents for major and planned gifts.
- In Collaboration with the Marketing & Communications Director oversee marketing efforts pertaining to development that are designed to create awareness of Angel View’s mission, vision and goals.
- Oversee performance measures, monitor results and help the Executive Director and Board of Directors evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s development program.
- Team with the finance department to assure sound fiscal operation of the development function including timely, accurate and comprehensive development of philanthropic contributions income and expense budgets, reporting, monitoring and implementation.
- Collaborate with the grant writer.
- Assure design and maintenance of donor and prospect records, gift management systems, and informational reports.
- Assure appropriate prospect research for development.
- Assure design and implementation of acknowledgment, stewardship and recognition programs with feedback and necessary check off systems.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising executives.
- Execute all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Donor Relations (65%)
- Facilitates the cultivation of relationships with funders (individuals, corporations and referrers of donors – e.g. financial planners, etc.) through donor research, presentations, personal meetings, communications or arranging meetings for Angel View’s board and management.
- Develops/manages donor recognition programs and events; including identifying guests and coordinating organizational support for events.
- Follows up with donor requests/inquiries;
- Builds strategic partnerships to increase awareness.
Fundraising events (25%)
Manages fundraising events as needed including:
- Creates budgets, develops agendas, solicits sponsors and auction donors, in-kind support;
- Manages event implementation and follow-up as needed;
- Coordinates efforts as needed to support fundraisers put on by others that benefit Angel View;
- Work with Senior Staff Team to promote events;
- Prepares and updates event tracking reports and timelines;
- Manages event volunteers as needed, including attending planning meetings;
- Works events as assigned, which may include weekends and evenings.
Systems and Infrastructure (10%)
- Maintains donor records and ensures accuracy/efficacy of donor database and mailing lists;
- Creates letter templates and individualizes thank you letters based on donor history;
- Writes/processes/sends all donor thank you letters;
- Accurately codes/tracks contributions through Angel View’s donations processing software and generates monthly reports and others as needed;
- Rigorously evaluates efforts and progress toward goals.
Other duties as assigned.
We are seeking candidates offering the following qualifications:
- Passion, imagination, vision, leadership, and integrity.
- A demonstrated ability to plan and operate strategically, to build support for Angel View’s mission and goals, to develop and strengthen fundraising infrastructure, to inspire staff, to develop strong working relationships with Boards of Directors, and to develop effective fundraising programs.
- A minimum of three years of development experience with increasing levels of responsibility, and with direct stewardship of Boards of Directors.
- Significant experience in and a successful track record of obtaining major gift, capital campaign and annual fund gifts through the development of deep relationships.
- A demonstrated track record of development management and operations leadership, implementing development processes and systems to measure activity and accountability as well as forecasting.
- A strategic approach to development, with significant experience in cultivating and managing donors.
- A record of quantifiable success in donor segmentation, research, and cultivation.
- Exceptional financial, organizational, and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, set goals and objectives, organize, and implement to completion.
- A strong interpersonal and communication skill set and demonstrated ability to work effectively with and gain the respect and support of Angel View’s constituencies and other key stakeholders.
- A track record as an effective communicator skilled at writing and public speaking; adept at writing proposals, solicitation letters, donor correspondence, and other types of materials to enhance fundraising.
- Ability to juggle many responsibilities at once, and to operate both independently and with the flexibility to be part of a team.
- Computer literate: Working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and experience with fundraising database software. Knowledge of DonorPro and OpenOffice a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English or marketing is required
- CFRE preferred; adherence to AFP Code of Ethics required
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Commitment to the mission and work of the agency with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others
- A manager who leads by example and exemplifies the values and ethics of the organization
- An organized individual with strong creative and conceptual skills
- A doer who functions effectively without being autocratic or political; must be a team player who is inclusive, flexible, creative, energetic and fair minded
- A decisive and resourceful individual who will accept responsibility and take charge of results, as well as work successfully with limited resources
- A self-starter who is confident enough to express opinions, to forge ahead when appropriate and hold back when necessary, with a sensitivity to the feelings and opinions of others
- An energetic person who is emotionally mature and dependable; a collegial individual
A competitive compensation package will be offered to an outstanding candidate.
Angelview is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to Angelview will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
Sarah Agee at 714-433-7040, Julie Lugo at 310-9090 4897 or email us at
Please submit your resume to Sterling Search Inc. via the form below, and include the job title in the subject line.