American Family Housing (AFH) provides a continuum of housing and an array of services to support homeless and low income families and adults to secure a stable home, to be an active part of their community, and to achieve a self-sustaining way of life
For every homeless person you see on the street, there are thousands more you don’t see–men, women, teens, and children who struggle every day just to survive. At American Family Housing, they give their neighbors what they so desperately need–the opportunity to live in stable housing so they can have a better life
Established in 1985, AFH is a nonprofit leader that has significant impact in Southern California for providing a continuum of housing and a broad spectrum of related services to vulnerable populations facing barriers to achieving housing stability, including veterans and adults with disabilities and mental illness. With annual revenue of $4.5 million and operating 63 housing sites, with 283 units that serve 1,300 unduplicated adults and children each year in Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernardino counties, AFH is committed to ending the cycle of homelessness- helping low income families and adults achieves a self-sustaining way of life and become engaged and contributing members of their communities.
Children’s Programs………. Affordable and Permanent Supportive Housing ………… Interim Housing
In September of 2014, the Board of Directors named their new President & CEO Donna Gallup, the former President & CEO of the LAMP Community located on Skid Row in Los Angeles. With decades of experience in housing and community development, fundraising and social services, Donna possesses a unique and comprehensive understanding of the issues affecting the homeless population in California and across the USA.
Since joining the organization Gallup has helped AFH strengthen its resources and chart a new course to providing assistance to vulnerable populations who continue to struggle with housing instability and the effects of homelessness throughout Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernardino counties. As with most new CEOs, Donna has spent the last year evaluating the organizational structure, implementing best practices, top grading talent and developing a high-performing Board. In an industry where funding sources are in constant flux, Donna has also hired a talented development team diversifying its dependence on public funds by building out a robust fund development program.
One of the most impactful and visionary accomplishments under Donna’s leadership is without doubt the first-of-its-kind, housing project in Midway City, called Potter’s Lane. The energy-efficient and sustainable housing site, for chronically homeless veterans, includes beautifully modified steel shipping containers complimented by unique landscaping, gardens and outdoor spaces suited to meet the requirements and needs of the surrounding environments. The first of its kind in the nation AFH has received incredible national press and attention resulting in numerous opportunities. So much is the demand that Donna is spending all of her time externally in fund development, community engagement and partnership development, leaving little time to run the day to day operations of the organization.
AFH’s significant growth has resulted in the need to hire a new Chief Operating Officer. AFH is seeking a COO who will report to the President & CEO and oversee the financial, HR, administration, risk management, property management and operating functions of the organization.
AFH is offering excellent compensation, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
Specific duties and responsibilities for the position include the following:
Building and Developing a Growing Organization:
- Under the direction of the CEO implements the organizational plan to ensure efficiency of operations and effective use of resources.
- Implements administrative and personnel policies.
- Provides oversight and ensures that AFH operates in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Ensures full legal and regulatory compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Oversees and ensures that information systems are operating efficiently, with appropriate controls and in alignment with the business growth.
Finance and Accounting/Risk Management:
- Prepares an annual budget for review and approval by the President & CEO and Governing Board.
- Leads and continues to strategically build a strong infrastructure for the sound and efficient financial and administrative management of AFH.
- Oversees financial reporting systems, including budgeting, audits, reporting, compliance, etc.
- Oversees systems and procedures for effective internal controls and minimizing risks; monitors accounting procedures and accounting duties so as to maximize internal controls.
- Ensures the books are closed monthly and a full set of financial statements are prepared accurately for the CEO and Governing Board.
- Monitors and reports quarterly and on an ad hoc basis as requested to the President & CEO and Governing Board on financial and contracting performance.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for and staff liaison to the Governing Board’s Finance, Administration, and Audit Committee.
- Oversees all risk management and insurance.
- Develops staff by promoting continuous learning, education and training, and assessing performance.
- Contributes to the development of an organizational culture aligned with core values and based on trust, mutual respect, engagement with and service to stakeholders, and a common understanding of needs.
- Helps create a supportive, team-oriented environment with a goal of maintaining and enhancing employee morale and generating enthusiasm for AFH’s mission.
- Delegates responsibility and authority to leaders in the performance of their duties while maintaining accountability for results. Provides guidance, assistance, and intervention as appropriate.
- Evaluates the performance of staff to provide professional development and to maximize contributions towards established goals.
- Establishes and encourages effective open lines of communication among staff members, consultants, and outside experts in support of the organization’s mission.
- Works to define and clarify roles, expectations, and accountabilities for AFH’s staff.
Strategic Planning and Oversight:
- Plays a leading role in developing and in ongoing refinement of AFH’s Strategic Plan.
- Evaluates and works with others to improve management processes and organizational structures to more effectively accomplish strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CEO or requested by the Board of Directors
Professional Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative individual with significant experience in organizational leadership, business management, and financial oversight. He or she will have an entrepreneurial spirit and be comfortable dealing with the challenges of a developing organization. Prior experience with managing an organization through growth and property management skills are desirable, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage an evolving and growing organization; comfortable with change.
- Not less than 5-7 years progressive work experience in finance/ accounting and administrative positions, including at least 3 years managing a team of senior level executives.
- Outstanding financial management skills associated with budgeting, planning, monitoring, and reporting financial performance.
- Experience with management and oversight of an array of revenue sources such as earned revenue, government grants and private fundraising revenue.
- Significant staff leadership experience. Track record for attracting, motivating, and developing a high performing team.
- Experience working with and for volunteer boards.
- Capacity to successfully manage many projects/responsibilities simultaneously and earn respect from multiple parties.
- Successful track record of articulating, evaluating, measuring, and reporting goals and successes/areas of improvement.
- A clear understanding of the leadership requirements associated with running a not-for-profit organization.
- An impeccable reputation for honesty and integrity.
- Superior organizational skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written. Experienced presenter with the ability to communicate technical and subject matter to audiences with varying levels of knowledge and expertise.
- Diplomatic. Strong track record of achieving results by forging consensus among diverse points of view.
- Politically savvy. Able to skillfully avoid the appearance of partisanship. Possesses an awareness of, and familiarity with, policy and the broader political landscape.
- A willingness and capacity to learn the issues, mission, and goals of AFH.
- Computer literate: Working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and experience with QuickBooks. Familiarity with donation software helpful.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s and/or CPA preferred.
Required: A deep passion to serve the homeless.
Direct all correspondence emails and telephone calls to Sterling Search, Inc.
Any resumes sent or telephone calls made to AFH will be redirected to Sterling Search, Inc.
AFH is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit your resume to Sterling Search Inc. via the form below, and include the job title in the subject line.